[ilds] Edmund Keeley (1928–2022)

James Gifford gifford at fdu.edu
Wed Feb 23 11:12:11 PST 2022

Dear all,

I'm sorry to say that Alexander Kazamias of Coventry University and The
Hudson Review have reported that Mike Keeley passed away today at the
age of 94:

https://hudsonreview.com/news-events/edmund-keeley-1928-2022/

I'm sure many of us remember him from the ILDS conferences in Greece and
for his book /Inventing Paradise: The Greek Journey, 1937-47/ about
Seferis, Katsimbalis, Durrell, and Miller among others, as well as for
his translations of Cavafy and several other modern Greek poets
entangled with Durrell's works.

I remember very fondly a number of late night chats with him on Rhodes
during the Durrell conference there.

Very best to you all,
James--
James Gifford, PhD (he/him)
Professor of English
Director of the University Core
Department of Literature, Language, Writing, & Humanities
Maxwell Becton College of Arts & Sciences
Fairleigh Dickinson University
Voice: 604-648-4476
Fax: 604-648-4489
E-mail: gifford at fdu.edu