[ilds] DL16 Another Triumph for Anna Lillios and the [ILDS]

Kennedy Gammage gammage.kennedy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 11:53:10 PST 2021

The cover dates, in this case NS16 2018-2019, typically lag a bit since we
received this in January, 2021. Always worth waiting for!

What is DEUS LOCI? The long-time bible for Durrell fans. Yes there are
active social media sites which keep us informed and entertained…but DL is
authoritative and always a celebration for Durellians around the planet
when it lands in our postbox.

16 is dedicated to the memory of Michael Haag and provides a moving tribute
to him, previously enjoyed in the Herald: Ian MacNiven’s thoughts, Peter
Baldwin’s eulogy, and Charles & Isaac’s memories of their long friendship.
(I’m assuming you also paid a visit to Konk Studios, just northeast of the
Heath on Tottenham Lane.)

Loved Haag’s revelation about Karm Abu Girg as Durrell’s shout-out to
George Manasce!

MacNiven’s CLIMAX IN CRETE about Theodore’s wartime experiences was
fascinating and harrowing. They don’t call them ‘the Greatest Generation’
for nothing.

Christine Costanza’s THE FOUNDLING HEART was fascinating - reached out to
some people offline about it.

Same with Barbaglia & Casiraghi’s (Un) COMMON USAGE about Scobie, Fiona’s
TIBETAN EXILE, and Diamakis’ “ORIENTATIONS IN SUNLIGHT” – though may I
express my preference for style that hews closer to, say, the NY Review of
Books, minimizing jargon. That being said – read and enjoyed!

No comment on the POETRY at this time. I am proud my poem was published in
NS11 with H.R. Stoneback while we were at OMG in New Orleans. Respect!

Peter Harrison’s notes about the Strawberry Pink Villa and the
Durrells-as-Huguenots were most welcome – as were the REVIEWS!
Congratulations to Peter Baldwin, David Radavich, Richard Pine, the
aforementioned MacNiven, David Roessel, Charles, Rony, James Clawson and
Veronica Schuder for writing-and-reviewing.

Major props to Grove Koger for his long-term Bibliography contribution.
Always heartening seeing Durrell being translated around the world, and now
hearing him on translated audiobooks! Podcasts and other future
technologies are sure to follow…in the Next. Installment of.

DEUS LOCI!

Best wishes and Happy New Year
Kennedy Gammage

ILDS Member