[ilds] Exile and Return - my new book

PETER BALDWIN delospeter at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 24 22:10:27 PDT 2018

I assume, Rony, that Pamela will ‘notice’ the book for the next Herald, due soon but with insufficient time for a proper review.

Peter

Sent from my iPhone

On 25 Sep 2018, at 01:10, Rony Alfandary <alfandary at gmail.com<mailto:alfandary at gmail.com>> wrote:

Dear friends and colleagues,

I am happy and proud to inform you of the publication of a new expanded English edition of my psychoanalytic study of Lawrence Durrell's The Alexandria Quartet.

The book is published by Routledge and is available both on their site<https://www.routledge.com/A-Psychoanalytic-Study-of-Lawrence-Durrells-The-Alexandria-Quartet/Alfandary/p/book/9781138359659> and on Amazon<https://www.amazon.com/Psychoanalytic-Lawrence-Durrells-Alexandria-Quartet/dp/1138359653>. Initially, it is issued in a hard-cover edition, which will be followed later by a paperback edition. It is also available in an attractive e-book edition.

Here are some words about the book:

".... It is therefore all the more valuable that Rony Alfandary has made a study of Durrell's Alexandria Quartet, employing his professional acumen as a psychoanalytic psychotherapist to unpack Durrell's writing in terms of the unconscious and the uncanny.
I am particularly interested to see the attention Alfandary pays to Freud's "Uncanny" - that much misunderstood concept of heimlich/unheimlich which, Alfandary shows us, is profoundly present in Durrell's life and art. What he has to say about Durrell's relation to the heimlich Indian background and the constant recurrence of the uncanny in his work is of great value to us all."
 Richard Pine, Durrell Library of Corfu
"Rony Alfandary has written a study of The Alexandria Quartet that insinuates itself into the very fiber of the work and, indeed, into Durrell’s internal psychic world, to give us anew a brilliant interpretation of this masterwork sixty years after its original appearance. Durrell’s ability to continue to engage readers of Alfandary’s caliber shows his continuing relevance.-
Ian S. MacNiven, author of the authorized biography of Lawrence Durrell; Editor of The Durrell-Miller Letters, 1935-80

I hope you will find it enjoyable and instructive.

Best,
Rony

Rony Alfandary, Ph.D.
Clinical Social Worker

Postgraduate Program of Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy

Dept. of Social Work

Bar-Ilan University

Ramat-Gan 51905

https://ronyalfandary.wordpress.com/