[ilds] Exile and Return - my new book

Rony Alfandary alfandary at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 14:01:30 PDT 2018

Dear friends and colleagues,

I am happy and proud to inform you of the publication of a new expanded
English edition of my psychoanalytic study of Lawrence Durrell's *The
Alexandria Quartet*.

The book is published by Routledge and is available both on their site
<https://www.routledge.com/A-Psychoanalytic-Study-of-Lawrence-Durrells-The-Alexandria-Quartet/Alfandary/p/book/9781138359659>
and on Amazon
<https://www.amazon.com/Psychoanalytic-Lawrence-Durrells-Alexandria-Quartet/dp/1138359653>.
Initially, it is issued in a hard-cover edition, which will be followed
later by a paperback edition. It is also available in an attractive e-book
edition.

Here are some words about the book:

".... It is therefore all the more valuable that Rony Alfandary has made a
study of Durrell's *Alexandria Quartet*, employing his professional acumen
as a psychoanalytic psychotherapist to unpack Durrell's writing in terms of
the unconscious and the uncanny.

I am particularly interested to see the attention Alfandary pays to Freud's
"Uncanny" - that much misunderstood concept of *heimlich/unheimlich* which,
Alfandary shows us, is profoundly present in Durrell's life and art. What
he has to say about Durrell's relation to the *heimlich* Indian background
and the constant recurrence of the uncanny in his work is of great value to
us all."

* Richard Pine, Durrell Library of Corfu*

"Rony Alfandary has written a study of *The Alexandria Quartet *that insinuates
itself into the very fiber of the work and, indeed, into Durrell’s internal
psychic world, to give us anew a brilliant interpretation of this
masterwork sixty years after its original appearance. Durrell’s ability to
continue to engage readers of Alfandary’s caliber shows his continuing
relevance.-

*Ian S. MacNiven, author of the authorized biography of Lawrence Durrell;
Editor of The Durrell-Miller Letters, 1935-80*

I hope you will find it enjoyable and instructive.

Best,
Rony

*Rony Alfandary*, Ph.D.
*Clinical Social Worker*

Postgraduate Program of Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy

Dept. of Social Work

Bar-Ilan University

Ramat-Gan 51905

https://ronyalfandary.wordpress.com/