[ilds] Gulshan Taneja

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 22:04:53 PDT 2018

Dear all,

I'm very sorry to report the death of Gulshan Taneja.  I'm not aware of
a formal obituary, but Ravi Nambiar heard through a friend, and James
Clawson has confirmed through Gulshan's friends on Facebook.

I first met Gulshan some 16 years ago and deeply enjoyed our
correspondence and occasional meetings.  In checking my files, I
remember I wrote him a letter from the airport after first meeting him,
which led to a discussion lasting years.  As he responded, "A personal
letter duly hand-written is a luxury that one no longer expects to be
allowed to indulged in too often these days."  But we did indulge.

He was a kind man, a generous scholar, and a delight to discuss
literature with over a glass of wine. Many of you may know him from
various Durrell conferences or events, his lively remarks in this forum,
and his editing of the journal In-between, which published a number of
pieces on Durrell and did a special issue in 2002.  I'm sad he will not
be with us in Chicago.

Ave atque vale.

Kind thoughts to you all.