[ilds] PLF Tour

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 16:44:15 PST 2017

Dear all,

For anyone who doesn't receive the .doc attachment (such as digest
subscribers), I've pasted it below.

Cheers,
James

-----

In Paddy's Footsteps: A Tour of Patrick Leigh Fermor’s Greece and Crete
with the Patrick Leigh Fermor Society
7th-19th May 2017

Following the success of the inaugural Patrick Leigh Fermor Society tour
in 2016, the Society is organizing a second tour for summer 2017.

In Paddy’s Footsteps is a unique journey into Patrick Leigh Fermor’s
Greece and Crete. Between 7th and 19th May 2017, a group of no more than
twenty travellers will visit major sites in PLF’s life: from his
favourite restaurants and hotels, to the homes where he lived and wrote;
from Classical monuments to the caves in which the Kreipe kidnappers
hid. Our guides will include several Leigh Fermor experts.

The tour begins in Athens, where we will eat at Tou Psara, where Leigh
Fermor and George Katsimbalis often ate. We then travel through Mycenae
and Epidavros to Leigh Fermor’s preferred hotel in Nafplion. From there,
we visit the Ghika house at Hydra, where much of Mani was written, and
the mill at Lemonodassos where Leigh Fermor lived in 1935-36. Then,
after stopping at Mystras, we will visit Leigh Fermor’s house at
Kardamyli and explore the Mani. Next, we travel to Crete where, after
visiting Knossos and the Kreipe kidnap site, we will be based at
Rethymnon. From there, we shall trace the kidnappers’ journey into the
White Mountains, and tour the Resistance sites of the Amari Valley. Our
journey ends at the beach at Rodakino, from which the Kreipe party were
evacuated in 1944.

*	Four-star hotels, air-conditioned private transportation.
*	Expert speakers and guides, including Chris White (contributing author
of ‘Abducting a General’), and Costas Malamakis (former curator,
Historical Museum of Crete).
*	Private visit to Leigh Fermor’s Mani home, guided by his housekeeper
Elpida Beloyanni.
*	Guided tours of the Kreipe abduction site and escape route, and the
Resistance sites of the Amari Valley.
*	Optional tours of the Benaki Museum, the Hadjikyriakos-Ghika House,
the town of Chania, and the Samaria Gorge.
*	The tour is strictly limited to no more than twenty travellers.
*	Cost: 3000 Euros per head (party of 10-14), 3300 EU (party of 14-20),
including Athens-Heraklion flights, all private ground transportation,
hotels, breakfasts, 16 lunches or dinners, conference fees, and guide fees.
*	 To register or request further details, please email
info at patrickleighfermorsociety.org