[ilds] listserv utility

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 21:12:06 PST 2016

Dear Peter & Robin,

I've meant to respond, but the end of term presses, and that means real
material things in real life (IRL) to those who have urgent demands on
my time...  Indeed, moderation is necessary (literally and
euphemistically), if only to keep everyone from receiving the daily spam
of growing this, putting hair here but not there, or sending funds from
somethere to overwhere (also literally and euphemistically) [how
gendered that all seems!].  But we need moderation for other reasons too.

There are two underlying things, apart from keeping safe spaces real and
avoiding the drift of today's cultural climate: (1) we have a geriatric
technological platform that, like radio, also offers a real service
despite inevitable communicative biases (in Harold Innis' sense), and
(2) the ILDS genuinely wants to serve its members' interests insofar as
they serve our main purpose of fostering interest in Durrell's works.

We've actually been debating the medium for years, but those of us under
the exigencies of institutional demands on the trimester system tend to
work in bursts at 4 month increments.  We might have a blizzard here
tomorrow -- if we do, I'll write something more concrete.  If not, rest
assured there are a number of things a long time in the making, but
maybe just a little bit longer...  I'm underwater until exams finish
next week, so while I'll respond as best I can to everyone, other people
do have more urgent calls for the immediate future.

In the meantime, some updates very shortly.

All best,
James