[ilds] LD bibliography

Durrell Library of Corfu durrelllibrarycorfu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 07:28:43 PDT 2016

I suspect that the online bibliography of LD on the DLC website is more
extensive than that on the ILDS website. To which we will shortly be adding
details of translations of LD's works - a fledgling project, as pirating in
China and Russia is an unknown quantity.

I doubt that a print edition would be viable, as the additions to LD seem
to come every week (to say nothing of almost daily mentions in the
international press) therefore a dedicated online bibliography such as the
DLC's (which also at present includes an incipient bibliography of Gerald
Durrell and another of Theodore Stephanides) would be the more practical
choice.

RP for the DLC

James Gifford via <https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1311182?hl=en>
lists.uvic.ca
4:07 PM (15 minutes ago)
to ILDS, PETER
Hi Peter,

Grove is still adding to the bibliography, but it's incremental in /Deus
Loci/.  However, a part of me suspects the days of print bibliographies may
be behind us...  Digital resources seem to be taking over that work, and
having the option of searching content and interfacing with your word
processor is helpful.  I still like print access, but the digital has a
real foothold now.

That said, the ILDS could easily sponsor such a project, though it would be
a real labour of love for the bibliographer and would likely have a niche
"market."  We already sponsor Grove's work in /Deus Loci/.

The flip side of this is the gap between Grove's ongoing extensions of the
Brigham/Thomas bibliography and the online scholarly bibliography. They
simply have different areas of coverage.  The former includes each new
edition of Durrell's primary works as well as newspaper stores and such.
The latter covers each of Durrell's works and major variants but has not
attempted to seriously cover translations and new editions, etc.  Also, its
real focus is on scholarly articles, chapters, and books for researchers.
We'll still at the very early stages of adding works in other languages,
and even then only scholarly works.  Conceivably, the digital version could
incorporate the B-T-K content, but that's quite a lot of work, and we
didn't want to step on toes since they serve different audiences (I made
that decision nearly 15 years ago when Susan MacNiven was also driving it,
and I certainly wouldn't want to interfere with Grove's work today!).

I should note, I still add new Durrell works to the online bibliography
that haven't appeared in any of them before.  Also, UVic's Brigham fonds
includes photographs of every listed work in the Brigham/Thomas -- they
simply couldn't be printed in the book.

All best,