[ilds] Durrell and the Nobel

Richard Pine pinedurrellcorfu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 14:05:08 PDT 2016

It could be argued that it is a matter of opinion, and the Swedes, being
slow thinkers, have just caught up with public opinion in the 60s. The
1960s, that is. But, at that time, we were acclaiming our popular heroes,
while we pretended to smoke pot, we sat around listening to the Missa Luba
and burning joss sticks, drinking cheap Spanish Burgundy because  LD's own
adolescent diet of 'gin and Smith's crisps' was now out of our reach - gin
because it was now so heavily taxed, Smith's crisps because the magic had
gone out once they stopped including the blue twist of salt and had
introduced flavours (Sartre and Vinegar, Chomsky and Onions). And we
believed that with Joan of Arc Baez we were going to overcome. I personally
brought the Vietnam War to an end by marching solo on the US Embassy in
Berkeley Square. I was the nightingale.
Only five years ago,Carmen Callil, one of the judges, resigned in protest
at the awarding of the Booker prize to Philip Roth on the grounds that he
was not a serious writer. "I don't rate him as a writer at all", she said.
On the other hand, Martin Amis said "If Roth doesn't deserve to win, who
does?" - well, if Amis likes you, you can't be much good. So it's all a
matter of opinion, isn't it. And those Swedes do have opinions. Not
necessarily their own, of course, but opinions nonetheless.
I was once present at a conversation which went as follows:
Finnish composer: "We have a problem, coming out from under the shadow of
Sibelius"
Norwegian composer: "We have the same problem, coming out from under the
shadow of Grieg".
A long pause, then, together: "The Swedes don;'t have that problem, ha ha
ha!"