[ilds] Durrell and the Nobel

Richard Pine pinedurrellcorfu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 11:40:43 PDT 2016

The choices each year of the Nobel prize winners - at least in the
Literature and Peace categories - are determined by political correctness.
In the case of Dylan, this is stretching a point. Those of us old enough to
remember the impact of Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Joan Baez and others in the
1960s will acknowledge that, culturally, they turned our minds to issues in
an immediately accessible way that books might not have done. But looking
at the TEXTS of Dylan's lyrics, they do not, divorced from the music,
amount to a body of literature. It is this point, rather than Dylan's
iconic cultural status, that excites frustration, dismay and anger.
Undoubtedly Dylan deserves the highest praise, but is the new direction in
which the Nobel committee is pointing the correct path along which such an
award should be considered? Maybe there should be a prize equivalent to the
Nobel awards, for such people. Dylan succeeded, where recipients of the
Peace Prize have been shown subsequently to be lamentable failures
(Northern Ireland TWICE). The islanders of Lesvos were among the nominees
for this year's Peace Prize, yet what have these elderly folk done for
peace, other than give shelter to desperate refugees? That hardly amounts
to any claim towards, or ambition for, world peace. Just a humanitarian
gesture from the heart.