[ilds] Letters

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 07:07:56 PDT 2016

Hi Peter,

Grove is still adding to the bibliography, but it's incremental in /Deus
Loci/.  However, a part of me suspects the days of print bibliographies
may be behind us...  Digital resources seem to be taking over that work,
and having the option of searching content and interfacing with your
word processor is helpful.  I still like print access, but the digital
has a real foothold now.

That said, the ILDS could easily sponsor such a project, though it would
be a real labour of love for the bibliographer and would likely have a
niche "market."  We already sponsor Grove's work in /Deus Loci/.

The flip side of this is the gap between Grove's ongoing extensions of
the Brigham/Thomas bibliography and the online scholarly bibliography.
They simply have different areas of coverage.  The former includes each
new edition of Durrell's primary works as well as newspaper stores and
such.  The latter covers each of Durrell's works and major variants but
has not attempted to seriously cover translations and new editions, etc.
  Also, its real focus is on scholarly articles, chapters, and books for
researchers.  We'll still at the very early stages of adding works in
other languages, and even then only scholarly works.  Conceivably, the
digital version could incorporate the B-T-K content, but that's quite a
lot of work, and we didn't want to step on toes since they serve
different audiences (I made that decision nearly 15 years ago when Susan
MacNiven was also driving it, and I certainly wouldn't want to interfere
with Grove's work today!).

I should note, I still add new Durrell works to the online bibliography
that haven't appeared in any of them before.  Also, UVic's Brigham fonds
includes photographs of every listed work in the Brigham/Thomas -- they
simply couldn't be printed in the book.

All best,
James