[ilds] Letters

Brewster Chamberlin chamberlinkw at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 14:06:36 PDT 2016

Bruce,
Take a look at the four-volume edition of Beckett's letters and you will
see what an edition of LD's letters would look like. The project would take
years for a team (not one or two persons) to complete. The sources are
dauntingly multiple and all the libraries and archives housing the papers
of LD's friends and acquaintances to whom he may have written must be
ransacked. The catalogues of auction houses which deal with literary papers
would need to be reviewed. The depositories where LD materials are located
(Southern Illinois U, the collection curated by Corinne Alexandre-Garner at
the Nanterre branch of the Univ. of Paris, the collection at the University
of Alberta, and so on. See the general editors' introductions to the
Beckett, Hemingway, D.H. Lawrence editions of letters and Ian MacNiven's
list of sources in his biography and Richard Pine's in The Mindscape to
give you an idea of the parameters of such a project. To be complete the
edition would reprint the letters in the Miller-Durrell, LD-Aldington
volumes and the letters to Franchette, which Richard mentioned somewhere
recently. Do not, however, bother with the Picasso-Gertrude Stein or the
Sylvia Beach letters volumes; they are travesties and should not have been
published as they exist.
Hope this helps.
Brewster