[ilds] Amazon's censorship of Anais Nin's Auletris

Sky Blue Press skybluepress at skybluepress.com
Sun Oct 30 12:54:19 PDT 2016

Durrellians,
You may be interested in a brief controversy one of our three musketeers
stirred up last week when Anais Nin's erotica collection Auletris was put
into what is known in the industry as Amazon's "adult content dungeon,"
which essentially makes a book unsearchable. There is a "catalogue team"
that makes decisions about what is and is not appropriate for the masses,
which is reminiscent of the censor boards of the twentieth century.

When Amazon demanded that changes be made to both the cover and contents of
Auletris, I went to social media and then the media with the story. It was
first covered by an Australian news agency, but the article that got the
most attention was the one by the Guardian, which appeared Friday. On
Saturday, I got an e-mail from Amazon saying it had lifted its restrictions
on Auletris, and now customers can find it like any other book. They also
apologized.

The url for the Guardian article is
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/oct/28/erotic-stories-anais-nin-amazo
n-adult-content-dungeon-auletris#_=_