[ilds] E. D.

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 12 10:56:11 PDT 2016

James, thanks for the information.  My comments below.

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 5:28 PM, James Gifford <james.d.gifford at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Bruce,
>
> Copyright depends on the country, but such publications are often lifted from Wikipedia (it's self-defined as public domain, so anyone can take from it...).  There are also many publishers that prey on the direct to library sales with varying degrees of reliability and quality control (contrast Edwin Mellen against Cambridge Scholars, for instance, or both against any university press).

1.  Edwin Mellen published Michael V. Diboll’s Lawrence Durrell’s Alexandria Quartet in Its Egyptian Contexts (2004).  Diboll has many good things to say, but he sorely needed a good editor (too much repetition, typos, errors in citations, etc.).  Clearly, EM took his entire MS and simply reproduced it without any editorial work.  Cambridge Scholars published Ravi Nambiar’s Indian Metaphysics in Lawrence Durrell’s Novels (2014).  I haven’t read the book, but it looks professional—a good job.

> Durrell's /Pied/ and /Panic/ may never have had their copyright renewed in the USA, which could impact copyright there, but most of those loopholes were closed retroactively after being open for many years. Those novels are still under copyright in the UK and Canada as well as most other countries in the world.  By way of contrast, for my editions of Hemingway, the 1924 /in our time/ is most likely public domain in the USA not because the estate didn't renew copyright but because they never filed it in the first place (and everything published in his lifetime is public domain in Canada):
>
> http://web.uvic.ca/~mvp1922/portfolio-item/in-our-time/ <http://web.uvic.ca/~mvp1922/portfolio-item/in-our-time/>

2.  I believe the Hemingway estate zealously guards its copyright of EH's books.  That must be the reason Hemingway has not appear in the Library of America series, whereas his rival, William Faulkner, has in multi-volumes.

> Some Robert Duncan gets caught in the same way, and I believe a US library makes Durrell’s /A Key to Modern Poetry/ available under the non-renewal of copyright paradigm (I suspect that’s actually not legitimate now).

3.  My 1952 edition of Durrell’s Key is published by the U of Oklahoma P, a very reputable press, which has a good list of classical treatises.

> As for markets, Durrell does indeed continue to sell well, but academic studies are typically small markets with print runs of 300 to 1,000. However, for dubious presses that often have no production costs and are print on demand, if you have a few thousand such titles, you only need a handful of sales of each in a year to make a living...  That said, even U California P and OUP both use print on demand for their back stock these days (and I'm glad of it!).  Like everything, caveat emptor!
>
> All best,
> James

4.  I wonder about Durrell’s sales.  I rarely see him on the shelves of book stores in California.  Every time I mention his name, I have to provide a short biography and note his passing fame.  Ars longa, vita brevis—not necessarily.