[ilds] E. D.

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 17:28:59 PDT 2016

Hi Bruce,

Copyright depends on the country, but such publications are often lifted
from Wikipedia (it's self-defined as public domain, so anyone can take
from it...).  There are also many publishers that prey on the direct to
library sales with varying degrees of reliability and quality control
(contrast Edwin Mellen against Cambridge Scholars, for instance, or both
against any university press).

Durrell's /Pied/ and /Panic/ may never have had their copyright renewed
in the USA, which could impact copyright there, but most of those
loopholes were closed retroactively after being open for many years.
Those novels are still under copyright in the UK and Canada as well as
most other countries in the world.  By way of contrast, for my editions
of Hemingway, the 1924 /in our time/ is most likely public domain in the
USA not because the estate didn't renew copyright but because they never
filed it in the first place (and everything published in his lifetime is
public domain in Canada):

  http://web.uvic.ca/~mvp1922/portfolio-item/in-our-time/

Some Robert Duncan gets caught in the same way, and I believe a US
library makes Durrell's /A Key to Modern Poetry/ available under the
non-renewal of copyright paradigm (I suspect that's actually not
legitimate now).

As for markets, Durrell does indeed continue to sell well, but academic
studies are typically small markets with print runs of 300 to 1,000.
However, for dubious presses that often have no production costs and are
print on demand, if you have a few thousand such titles, you only need a
handful of sales of each in a year to make a living...  That said, even
U California P and OUP both use print on demand for their back stock
these days (and I'm glad of it!).  Like everything, caveat emptor!

All best,
James