[ilds] Truth

Richard Pine pinedurrellcorfu at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 13:41:20 PDT 2016

Let's stick with Trump. maybe, as President, he will follow Sarkozy's lead
and be photographed allegedly reading the Alexandria Quartet. If so, his
minders will have scored a major p r triumph and told one of the biggest
lies of his career. It is a fact (let's not call it a 'truth') that Trump
is within an ass's roar of the White House, even though he is a liar, a
cheat, a racist, a philanderer, a sexist, a draft-dodger, and an
appallingly bad businessman. Trump is a success because, altho he himself
is a fiction, people believe him: he is capitalising on  Kurt Schumacher’s
1932 observation, that the best way to appeal to people’s anger is
“ceaselessly mobilising human stupidity” That's an American truth. Canada
isn't much better with Truth-dough in power.
It doesn't matter to me one little bit that LD, who was almost never in any
degree powerful in that sense, told lies, bent the truth, borrowed
unashamedly from others' work, misrepresented his personal circumstances,
or was a sexist or philanderer SO LONG AS HE WAS A POET AND TOLD A GOOD
STORY. Trump matters because his credible story appeals to American
readership. Durrell doesn't matter because his story cannot hurt people.
He was absolutely right when he said we live lives based on selected
fictions. There are two kinds - those that are selected for us, and those
that we ourselves select. Almost all his work involves these two types of
fiction. And we respond to it because it tells us some 'truth' about
ourselves. Truth, if you pursue it long and hard enough, proves itself to
be a fiction.
RP