[ilds] Truth

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 6 13:13:06 PDT 2016

Truth matters.  And it particularly matters, as you point out, during an election year in the U.S. when Mr. Donald J. Trump, presidential candidate, is a habitual and egregious liar.  That fact may be a context for this discussion.  It is one thing, as John Keats does, to get a particular fact wrong, but quite another when Lawrence Durrell, who surely knows his facts, prefers to indulge in “selective fictions.”  White lies or societal niceties, which we all commit, are no excuse for misrepresentations of a higher order.  Durrell’s “selective fictions” licenses too much at times, particularly with reference to his art and self-portrayal.  Relativity does not justify dishonesty.  I call plagiarism an example of dishonesty—and there are many examples of that in Durrell’s oeuvre, which we have discussed over the years.

Re “Le cercle refermé,” what would you call a last poem at the end of a poet’s last work, one that recapitulates the poet’s life and describes a final closing and “last goodbye?”  I’d call it a summa, autobiographical closure.  To suggest that it’s fiction undercuts the poem’s poignancy.  Granted that the first two lines are a problem—Durrell was never in Benares—but even that “fiction” serves as an example of Durrell’s life.  So, I smile at that bit of “selective fiction,” but I’ll give him that as he leaves the stage.  Othello does the same thing at the end of Shakespeare’s play.  His tale of the “base Indian” who “threw a pearl away” distorts and misrepresents what he did to Desdemona.  Her horrible death is draped in metaphors.  But the speech also illustrates a life full of dazzling diction.  Othello’s speech is a beautiful artifact, and Durrell’s final poem is equally beautiful, obscure and allusive, true to its maker.

Bruce