[ilds] Evaluating the Quintet

Frederick Schoff frederick.schoff at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 06:59:58 PDT 2016

I'm reading "Kim" for the first time as an adult. It's not hard to see the east/west contrast. I imagine LD loved the boisterous and colorful aspects of it (is this part and parcel of the "romanticism" Forster didn't like?). Also, I think, the idea of a "Great Game" as the armature and animator of a story impressed Durrell. I first read the Quartet for its overall lushness and the interactions and thoughts of the characters. But "Palestine" ruled over all the action, gave shape and defined the parameters of the story. In the Quintet it's the Templars and their rumored treasure. In addition to other aspects, I think "Kim" taught Durrell some key lessons about pure story-telling. Sure, "Kim" might be just a boy's adventure book (how it was first presented to me), but both elements are in there: good story-telling and depiction of different world views.