[ilds] Evaluating the Quintet

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 4 14:19:08 PDT 2016

Ravi,

I like the contrast between Durrell’s Constance and Tennyson’s “Ulysses”:  to yield v. not to yield.  I think you’re absolutely right in this.  That’s the Indian metaphysics of Durrell’s philosophy, which is very un-Western.  As to the rest of the Quintet, it has so many aspects (and defects) that readers will be puzzling over these for years to come.  I don’t think, however, that Durrell himself was ever “happy.”  In this regard, he was Odyssean, “to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.”  What he advocated was not necessarily what he practiced.

Bruce