[ilds] Jolan Chang

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 4 10:54:08 PDT 2016

Ken,

Interesting idea, Jolan Chang as “inspiration” for Affad in Sebastian.  Chang appears at beginning of A Smile in the Mind’s Eye (1980).  Sebastian or Ruling Passions appears in 1983.  I first thought Chang was another of Durrell’s inventions—he seemed too improbable.  He was, however, a real person who wrote The Tao of Love and Sex:  The Ancient Chinese Way to Ecstasy (1977).  They actually met, as MacNiven verifies.  The times are also right, so maybe there is a connection.  I agree—Durrell gets too explicit with Constance and sex.  I’d call his treatment highbrow pornography.

Bruce

.