[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 114, Issue 1

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 16:05:35 PDT 2016

On 2016-10-01 6:58 PM, Sumantra Nag wrote:
> 2. It so happens  that I am now trying to read - among
> other books and amidst professional tasks - Peter
> Nicholls' Modernisms, A Literary Guide (Second Edition),
> Palgrave Macmillan, 1995, 2009.

It's an excellent book, and though I've looked at both editions (the U
Calif. P and Palgrave 2nd edition), I've not actually attended closely
to what changed between them.  It's the first edition that I read
through closely.

Astradur Eysteinsson's /The Concept of Modernism/ is also a good
follow-up (precursor) before the "New Modernist Studies" that developed
out of all that mid-90s activity.  Neither discusses Durrell, but I'd
say both help to inform any reading of him.

Enjoy!

-James