[ilds] The Durrells tv series

Richard Pine pinedurrellcorfu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 14:12:58 PDT 2016

I thought Simon Nye (who also scripted the 2005 adaptation) did marvels -
especially
1) rehabilitating Nancy Durrell - whom Gerry airbrushed out of MFOA
2) really drawing out the character of Leslie, who is so often portrayed as
merely a gun-crazy buffoon, but who in this version is shown to be the very
bewildered and sensitive adolescent that he was in 'real' life
3) and altho I agree that Keeley Hawes was superb as Mrs D (equalling,
perhaps, Hannah Gordon in the 1st version and outplaying Imelda Staunton in
the 2nd) I believe the star of the show was Milo Parker as Gerry - he had
already distinguished himself  as the boy playing opposite Ian McKellen in
"Mr Holmes".
The production company sold the series to British ITV (i.e. commercial)
which probably explains why it was screened on a  commercial channel in
Australia
But none of this explains why Lawrentians continue to look down their
snobby noses at Gerald Durrell's writing.
And David, try it with a bottle of Santorini Assyrtiko and CORFIOT olives!
RP