[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 113, Issue 19

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 19:24:55 PDT 2016

Bruce,

As a person who read The Alexandria Quartet several times over in his
adolescence - at an age when those novels create the greatest impression -
I still find the Quartet has a quality which immediately draws me into its
world. And this after the passage of many years and after reading much
criticism on the work.

I recall an early review of the Quartet which described the novels as large
enough to create a world of their own, a quality shared with great works of
fiction.

So I tend to relate to your view about "his genius as a writer of fiction .
. . " arising out of his story-telling and poetry:

"Durrell had his own philosophy (some mix of Indian and Chinese thought),
but his real genius as a writer of fiction was a blend of storytelling and
poetry."

Best wishes

Sumantra

Sent from my Moto G4 Plus