[ilds] Gnosticism

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 8 09:44:41 PDT 2016

Ric,

Tracking down Durrell’s sources can lead in mysterious directions.  As MacNiven has noted, he spent a lot of time in the Patriarchal Library in Alexandria.  Who knows what he came up with?  I simply want to know how serious he was about Gnosticism, which was, as Ravi Nambiar says, heavily indebted to Indian thought.  The “oriental” aspects of the Nag Hammadi story also interest me, but I seriously doubt this line of argument.  It’s “Orientalism” and Biblical scholarship gone awry, in my opinion.

Bruce