[ilds] Aphrodite's Revolt

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 20 11:04:32 PDT 2016

Richard’s can of worms opens up many intriguing questions about honesty, which I’m sure would have pleased old LD.  I have one about Durrell’s reading habits.  Richard may have commented on this in his Mindscape (2005) or elsewhere, which I haven’t seen.  My apologies for laziness.  Nevertheless, when he refers to “[Durrell’s] re-reading of Spengler,” does he know if Durrell read all of Spengler’s two volume Decline of the West (München 1918; New York 1926)?—which is massive, about 1000 pages—or did he crib it from some other abbreviated source?  For example, some of Durrell’s readings in Paracelsus come via C. G. Jung’s work on alchemy.  Charles Sligh, I believe, has commented on this reading habit as evidenced by LD’s notebooks.  I wonder if something similar was going on with Spengler.

Bruce