[ilds] Nunquam

Kennedy Gammage gammage.kennedy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 12:07:03 PDT 2016

Hoping it’s OK to quote these 12 lines, relating the poem to her _Revolt_

“Aphrodite”

Not from some silent sea she rose
In her great wave of nacre
But from such a one—O sea
Scourged with iron cables!  O sea,
Boiling with salt froths to curds,
Carded like wool on the moon’s spindles,
Time-scarred, bitter, simmering prophet.
On some such night of storm and labour
Was hoisted trembling into our history—
Wide with panic the great eyes staring …
Of man’s own wish this speaking loveliness,
On man’s own wish this deathless petrifact.

1964/1961

Some thoughts: My first take registered that the sea was violent: scourged,
boiling, carded – without taking into account the transition between the
sea and Aphrodite. So I’m wondering about carded but now I think that line
7 “time-scarred” refers to the goddess. But then – why does Durrell say
“prophet” instead of “prophetess,” which one might expect from him.  And as
a goddess, why does she panic? Maybe by comparison it’s nasty and violent
here where we live!

Anyway, she seems to live on via our wishes, either as speaking loveliness
or as a deathless petrifact – maybe a Marine Venus hauled out of that
scourged and boiling sea.

In relation to the _Revolt_ my initial thought is that Tunc and Nunquam
deliberately ignore WWII while focusing on internal wars, violence and
madness.

Also, strange coincidence: when I Googled petrifact the example was from
Durrell: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/petrifact Unless I am mistaken the
scene they capture from Monsieur with the petrified forest is when they are
riding their horses to the beach after Macabru.

When Bruce said these books are hard to read – I agree, mainly because they
are a huge slog through extended pages-long character monologues! All the
characters are Durrell, and he has a lot to say.

I really think the Revolt is a 60s-era way-station between the Quartet and
the Quintet – both of which were focused on World War II.

Thanks very much – Ken

P.S. Aphrodite was the patron saint of prostitutes – so that bit fits
nicely!