[ilds] The Firm in today's imagination

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Wed May 18 13:43:49 PDT 2016

Hi Brewster and Gulshan,

The comparison with "Person of Interest" is intriguing -- they have very
different aims and intended audiences, but a first element might be the
intention to create a quasi-scientific plausibility for "the machine" in
the television series in order to make a polemical critique of our
modern surveillance culture.  While "the machine" is not real, it
pretends to reality in the science fictional sense characterized by
Darko Suvin as embodying a cognitive estrangement between reality in
cognition and estrangement in the creative fiction.  The real and the
unreal blend, giving us a discomfort with our contemporary world.  In
this, Suvin saw an intrinsically political operation for the genre (and
hence, we was very eager to set works like "Star Wars" as fantastic
rather than SF).

Durrell, perhaps as we should expect, wanders between the science
fictional and the fantastical in /Tunc/ and /Nunquam/.  As Ken notes,
the Dactyl isn't far off in concept from our transcription devices (I
use my phone for this all the time, actually, and isn't it really Star
Trek technology in a sense, just used for looking at pictures of cats
and arguing with people at a distance?).  Yet, the pogonometry isn't
really a pretense to realism or the novum in Suvin's sense (reaching to
Auerbach and Lukács).  For that matter, is the Quartet a work of realism
either?

So, is this science fiction?  Or are the technological elements still
rooted in fantasy?  There are contemporary authors, like China Miéville,
who see this as often an illegitimate distinction.

Best,
James