[ilds] Free Market

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue May 17 14:57:15 PDT 2016

Yes, David, indeed.  Good to hear from you.  Near the end of Tunc, we have Julian telling Felix this:  “The firm isn’t just an extension of moral qualities, a product of a wicked human will, of a greedy mercantile spirit.  It goes deeper than that.  I mean, it has always existed in one form or another.”  He continues, “The firm isn’t inflexible … Despite its size it is a pretty fragile thing … that is the sanctity of the contractual obligation.  If you abrogate that you begin to damage the essential fabric of the thing.  Naturally it will try to protect itself like any other organism” (pp. 324-25; 5.4).

In essence, “the firm” has taken out a patent on Felix himself through the “contract,” which is just another Faustian bargain with the devil.  Felix belongs to it or them and has sacrificed his “freedom” (a big word in the novel).  He has become what is now, in today’s lingo, called, a “profit center.”

I think, however, too much can be made of Durrell on the evils of the free market, Adam Smith, and all that.  Rather, I think Gnosticism underlies much of this thinking—“It goes deeper than that”—that is, matter is evil, and the Demiurge (Julian) rules all.  That’s the real basis to his thought, in my opinion.

Keep it coming!

Bruce