[ilds] MES#5

Ric Wilson Ric.Wilson at msn.com
Mon May 16 23:27:57 PDT 2016

Your perception, valid; spirit of place has its editors. We may align ourselves in self-talk to progress but rooting to place happens, choices. My de facto interpretation of the DMA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act) as any loose knit one, may give a voyeur, hypothetically speaking , access to peep throughout AQ's entirety freely--no fear of any payment due. Period. (Put that in your pipe, ye wicked publishers!)

If able to R&R an FTA-receiver's firmware (simply download a patch from a pirate's forum onto a handy mobile thumb drive, insert it into satellite-TV receiver's USB, re-write proprietary firmware effectively de-scrambling DISH's signal), would you gouge, too--an amazing "power" of virtually limitless observation? This Pandora's box featuring unrestricted access drove one FA-receiver-producer into multi-millionaire status before his conviction. Proof of signal theft was irrelevant, remember there's no way of knowing what happens between end-user's flash-drive, PC, and/or FTA-receiver's USB-port, but on review a receiver with unprecedented update-able firmware, his hacks by proxy on DISH historically for his consumers + pursuit of DISH's "next generation"(secure) chip--sealed in epoxy,btw--and an electron microscope--needed to (re)produce chips--in his garage made FBI's bust airtight. Playing back recordings of his interviewing hacks-for-hire--icing on the cake. Not bowing to an authentic producer's value judgment is issue ( https://www.thestar.com/business/2009/03/15/satellite_piracy_costing_tv_industry_billions.html ).  Passive end-users were not hunted , but the active development of apparatus capable of dipping into DISH's proprietary content : a tightening noose.

I read once "a cataract of words" as LD's trademark. Effective metaphor -- desensitizing his readers' fingers, clasped onto holiness of one's values. One mentality as sustainable over time, impossible. Your objection over $25 granted, but then another voice said "alma mater"; sure enough, "Shibboleth," was written there with Judaeo-Hebraic flavor. A portal that UA maintains for faculty, students, exes. I was allowed to peep again, righteously now, but did my status motivate my little head to read anymore?

Ric Wilson

   5. Re: OER (Bruce Redwine)

Message: 5