[ilds] Why Istanbul?

Richard Pine pinedurrellcorfu at gmail.com
Mon May 16 11:48:18 PDT 2016

The Greek name for Istanbul (Constantinople) is, to this day,
'Konstantinoupolis'
- the city (polis) of Constantine (hence the genitive 'Konstantinou'). For
brevity, it's called 'Polis'. Greeks would never call it 'Istanbul'. When a
Greek says 'Polis' (unless he is travelling specifically, e.g. in a bus, to
a city, when he might say 'polis' to the ticket-seller to indicate his
destination, as I myself do when taking the bus from my village to Corfu
Town) he is referring to what we conventionally call 'Istanbul'.
RP