[ilds] Agathou diamonos

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 27 08:30:09 PDT 2016

For the sake of brevity, perhaps Richard, a speaker of modern Greek, can summarize his translation/interpretation of the 1962 dedication in Mountolive.  Does the following reflect his considered view (avoiding all the other possibilities)?

Claude
[my] good fortune

So, Durrell addresses his beloved Claude in French but compliments her in Greek.  It’s not unusual to find dedications in another language, often classical and untranslated.  But code-switching I find interesting.

Thanks,

Bruce