[ilds] 3. Re: Durrell's endings (Panaiotis Gerontopoulos)

Ric Wilson Ric.Wilson at msn.com
Thu Apr 14 01:01:38 PDT 2016

PG--Did I miss something, who is Whitewine? It's hard to understand snippety replies with ad hominem undercurrents, "should have known long ago..." If you've a better understanding, it went right over my head.

We're here in a forum designed to pique others' interest into a better understanding.  Insults launched belabor dialogue and monopolize it as if there's no good breeding here. If you want a better understanding, then do not pretend, "as Richard Pine likes to believe" because that's clearly offensive in the same manner you've  assigned a philhellene [LD?] as "ridiculous." [Now I've got to add yet another book to my Amazon list. Will I have time, Paniaiotis? My life is short.] Has becoming twisted into the shape of that one who first twisted a relevant axiom? Very heavy-handed, the tone of voice adopted, mocking even. I only know what I've seen/felt here. I wish you'd use your voice to show and tell and poise questions with as my better teachers did.

Given your intro addressed to my sensibility, I'll throw in my $.02 for the dead under scrutiny now. You have vouched for the misfortune in Cyprus. If we grant, just for the moment, LD's BL was a "poetic book" after all, consider Bowen's take, "as in 'Dead Men,' the poet must choose to engage the horror of his experience as a away of living with that knowledge." (from his Many Histories Deep, 88) In "Many Histories Deep" The Personal Landscape Poets in Eqypt: 1940-45, Roger Bowen placed Keith Douglas' voice under his magnifying glass to project the poet's "use of language as a unique and temporary 'catch': 'But I keep words only a breath of time/turning in the lightest of cages--uncover/and let them go: sometimes they escape forever.' [see also where he's quoting from online @ http://thestoneandthestar.blogspot.com/2015/01/words-by-keith-douglas-turning-in.html ]"

Remember "When the Music's Over" (you permitted me this personal bias in intro, right?)? [ http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=doors+music%27s+over&&view=detail&mid=A3BCDDDEB580E5C2917DA3BCDDDEB580E5C2917D&rvsmid=5FC1740990DF857A184A5FC1740990DF857A184A&fsscr=-1815&FORM=VDFSRV ] I know it's a couple decades + later, but we're hearing others' words pronounced in the interest of sensing an eternal recurrence, right? Bowen pointed out Douglas' "poem is worth quoting whole because for all its compact brilliance it is hardly commented on [canon-wise?], and because it represents Douglas writing an antiwar poem that, like certain of Spencer's or Durrell's poems, focuses on social rather than personal loss." With breath passing through us each like a ball and chain,  another James exploited this realization on a perhaps more personal level: "When the music's over turn out the light..." ( http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/doors/whenthemusicsover.html ) I hope you see and hear his appeal as evidence to bolster our social construct, here, I mean. This requires we uphold gentilesse, I presume. --

Ric Wilson

Message: 3