[ilds] In Paddy's Footsteps: A Private Tour of Patrick Leigh Fermor’s Greece and Crete

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 22:05:11 PDT 2016

Dear all,

I've been told a seat or two are still available in the Fermor group
that will overlap with the Crete conference.  I've pasted the details
below (with envy for everyone who is going...).

All best,
James

-------------

In Paddy's Footsteps: A Private Tour of Patrick Leigh Fermor’s Greece
and Crete

17th-30th June 2016

In Paddy’s Footsteps is a unique journey into Patrick Leigh Fermor’s
Greece and Crete. Between 17th and 30th June 2016, a group of no more
than twenty travellers will visit major sites in PLF’s life: from his
favourite restaurants and hotels, to the homes where he lived and wrote;
from Classical monuments to the caves in which the Kreipe kidnappers
hid. Our guides will include several Leigh Fermor experts.

The tour begins in Athens, where we will eat at Tou Psara, where Leigh
Fermor and George Katsimbalis often ate. We then travel through Mycenae
and Epidavros to Leigh Fermor’s preferred hotel in Nafplion. From there,
we visit Hydra, where much of Mani was written, and the mill at
Lemonodassos where Leigh Fermor lived in 1935-36. Then, after stopping
at Mystras, we will visit Leigh Fermor’s house at Kardamyli and explore
the Mani. Next, we travel to Crete where, after visiting Knossos and the
Kreipe kidnap site, we will trace the kidnappers’ journey into the White
Mountains, and tour the Resistance sites of the Amari Valley. Our
journey ends at Rethymnon, where we will link up with the International
Lawrence Durrell Society’s conference.

* Four-star hotels, air-conditioned private transportation.

* Expert speakers and guides, including Chris White (contributing author
of ‘Abducting a General’), Costas Malamakis (former curator, Historical
Museum of Crete), and Simon Fenwick (archivist who has been researching
the Leigh Fermor and Xan Fielding archives).

* Private visit to Leigh Fermor’s Mani home, guided by his housekeeper
Elpida Beloyanni.

* Guided tours of the Kreipe abduction site and escape route, and the
Resistance sites of the Amari Valley.

* Entry to the International Lawrence Durrell Society’s conference, On
Miracle Ground, whose theme is ‘British Writers in World War II Crete’.

* Optional tours of the Benaki Museum, the Hadjikyriakos-Ghika House,
the town of Chania, and the Samaria Gorge.

* The tour is strictly limited to no more than twenty travellers.

* Cost: 2965 Euros per head (party of 20), 3315 EU (party of 15),
including Athens-Heraklion flights, all private ground transportation,
hotels, breakfasts, 16 lunches or dinners, conference fees, and guide fees.

* To register or request further details, please email
info at patrickleighfermorsociety.org