[ilds] The Bitter Lemons of Cyprus

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Sun Apr 10 13:54:39 PDT 2016

Yes, Bitter lemons, the poem, is a favourite. Tight, cryptic but evoktive. Hard to know what saying but I agree that it is personal poem about loss, loss of youth, loss of Eve and loss of beloved Greece. It was on Cyprus that Larry and Eve's relationship irretrievably broke down. There were black eyes and claw marks probably best left unsaid. Eve took Sappho away with her. His beloved Greeks turned on him, Panos was shot and attempts made on his life before he fled, never to live in Greece again. Tears Unshed may refer to that deep emotional pain that will never fully heal. Dunno - or perhaps something to do with true story never being able to be told. Larry may have left Greece but Greece never left him. When he bought the mazet near Nimes it was because the land there reminded him of Greece, especially Corfu.

David

Sent from my iPad