[ilds] re Bitter Lemons and Durrell attitudes to colonialism

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 14:19:53 PDT 2016

Hi Robin,

I wonder if the question isn't so much his seriousness but rather how
much he was a "party man" for the British position -- he certainly mocks
the British and distances himself from Britishness to varying degrees
and in different circumstances, yet in his job he did was he was told
until he decided to leave.

I'd also suggest that it's hard to read /Bitter Lemons/ without feeling
deep sympathy with the Cypriot characters.  Durrell, of course, couldn't
write a book against the British position, so he wrote one that was "not
a political book" in which the reader's emotional sympathies clearly
lean to the Cypriots.  I'm reminded of the character Lawrence Durrell in
his short narrative "Oil for the Saint" who bemoans tourism on Corfu
only to be told by Kerkyra that the tourists bring much needed money,
thank-you very much -- that the story was printed in /Holiday/ magazine
makes the point.  Of course he wrote it to encourage tourism, first
because it paid, and second because it was good for his friends.  But
saying so through the mouth of his character Lawrence Durrell wouldn't
suit the purpose.  In essence, the text shows us this rather than tells
us.

I tend to think much of that happens in /Bitter Lemons/ as well.

All best,
James