[ilds] The Durrells

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 23:10:27 PDT 2016

Thanks for the details, Peter!

> The focus is on a stressed mother, Louisa,
> struggling with four unruly 'children'

I was under the impression that "gin-soaked" might touch on it...  Just
maybe it will drive people to /Amateurs in Eden/ for adult updates.

> As you say, if it brings cash to G's estate
> ie for the Jersey Zoo that's some good

It's something at least.  I've watched a handful of book adaptations for
TV series over the past year (we don't actually have TV), and it's a
strange combination of being impressed and disappointed.  The
remediation inevitably means change, and some of that can actually be
quite welcome (after all, /My Family/ was never "accurate" in the first
place...). The great disappointment is when something appears with grand
filming, some decent acting, and much potential yet seems to be trimmed
to death on the cutting room floor.  I'm hoping this makes a decent
thing unto itself, even if it runs away from the source materials.

> No sponsorships trails for Panic Spring
> for the series!

Alas!  I don't see a penny off those, but I'd be very glad to see the
pennies flowing to someone.  One can hope.  The book's worth reading,
after all -- it just wants more readers to open it.

For what it's worth, there's a new documentary about the Barbarian Press
that interviews Jason Dewinetz who did the design for the ELS Editions
of Durrell -- the Barbarians have a stunning shop, and their daughter
imprint recently printed a long poem by one of my earliest Canadian
ancestors.  Delos might find the trailer worth the time (I know the
Barbarians have much to say on the Centaur setting of the Quartet and
Durrell's translations of Cavafy):

https://vimeo.com/160010994

All best,