[ilds] Bitter Lemons and Academe

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 10:08:37 PDT 2016

Hi Robin,

I posted a query about the book in February, but I haven't had a chance
to take a look yet (I get a digital edition through my campus library).
Notably, he does make this comment about support for the Turkish position:

"I fear a conflation of Durrell's actual work for the authorities and
the memoir he leaves us about Cyprus.... Durrell was doing no more than
merely going through the motions"

I'm glad to see he's reading Petra Tournay in the same chapter.  I'd
also tend to note the ironical tone in the Aegean Review interview.

All best,
James