[ilds] Bitter Lemons and Academe

Robin Collins robin.w.collins at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 08:56:48 PDT 2016

Panaiotis

Thanks for a useful, fascinating and interesting survey on that subject. (I pulled out my Said and Hitchens books on this but found not much).  I'd be the last to defend the colonial project but LD is too multifaceted to stick (only) with the imperialist label I think you'd agree. And it is certainly possible for someone to speak on behalf of the domineering front at one point, regret some or all of it at a later date, years later become an excellent chronicler of the place and people being abused, love the land and residents, and then one day be honoured for the best aspects of one's contributions -- with  brass-busts, or other sentiments. It is a paradox, as you say, but maybe more reasonable than curious?

> The white wine tasted sharp and good and as he raised his glass Panos gave me the toast of the day: 'That we may pass beyond' (i.e. the present troubles) 'and that we may emerge once more in the forgotten Cyprus -- as if through a looking-glass.'  In a way, too, he was toasting a dying affection which might never be revived -- one of those bright dreams of deathless friendship which schoolboys still believed in, of an England and Greece which were bondsmen in the spirit.
> How stupid such figments sound to the politicians and how vital they are to young nations!
> [Bitter Lemons, page 222,

Robin