[ilds] Lit. of Pop Culture

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 26 08:11:43 PDT 2016

The literary term “novel of ideas” is vague and not a term of art (I can’t find it glossed).  But I don’t take it to mean necessarily the advocacy of some idea (Rand’s Atlas Shrugged).  It may simply be a discussion of some ideas (Mann’s Magic Mountain).  Durrell is sly, as you point out, so determining what he really thought about some subject is difficult.  Again, Skordili shows that Gnosticism is not simply a plaything in the Quartet—it has an integral role.

Bruce