[ilds] Lit. of Pop Culture

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 09:31:50 PDT 2016

Hi Bruce,

I agree, Beatrice's work is excellent.  For anyone who cannot access it,
she's posted a copy to Academia.edu:

https://www.academia.edu/633349/The_Author_and_the_Demiurge_Gnostic_Dualism_in_The_Alexandria_Quartet

You need to join to download it, which some may not want to do, so it's
also online in the National Library for direct access (you just need to
link past the disclaimer to access it, and then the whole journal issue
on Durrell is there):

http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/202/300/agora/2004/v3n01/

I'd certainly agree with you about the novel of ideas, but at the same
time, Durrell covers his tracks in ways that, say, Voltaire does not.
I've pointed in the past to Durrell's use of Nietzsche, but does he
endorse Nietzsche?  Hmmm.  Peter Christensen points to Durrell using
Spengler, but again, is he endorsing Spengler?  We even have praise for
Marx in /Monsieur/ (after decades of anti-Marxist comments), but is that
Durrell or his character?

That provisionality is, itself, one of the central "ideas" for Durrell,
or at least I like to this so.

All best,
James