[ilds] Lit. of Pop Culture

Panaiotis Gerontopoulos pan.gero at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 25 06:02:59 PDT 2016

Dear List
I feel embarassed to return once more to the same old story, but this discussion on Pop Culture,  Durrell's "Minor Mytologies" , modernism and post-modernism, obliges me to return to my paper presented at the advice of James Gifford and Beatrice Scordili at OMG XIII held in Rhodes: " The myth of Pope Joan, Emmanuel Roidis and Lawrence Durrell" . That paper contained sufficent information showing that Durrell's Pope Joan is a carbon-black copy of a botched English translation printed in Athens in 1935 by the Greek immigrant in San Francisco T. D. Kriton art name of Timoleon Dimitriou Kourcoulakis. This assertion is comfortably demonstrated considering the systematic repetition by Durrell of unthinkable Kriton's blunders.
A couple of years ago I came back to the argument on this List reacting to Richard Pine's comment including Pope Joan among the "Minor Mythologies" of Lawrence Durrell. At that time I thougt that the notion was due to Richard Pine. Now I discover that it was Durrell's stuff, published in the 1999-2000 issue of DEUS LOCI. Can anybody in the List e-mail me a scan?
As of the popular italian saying traduttore-traditore Roidis' "Papissa Ioanna, A Medieval Study"  and  Durrell's "Pope Joan" are two quite different books hardly known by the Anglosaxons.
A symptom of the confusion reigning on this subject is the presentation of Durrell's book in the on-line Durrell's Bibliography of ZOTERO Project.  Namely: Author Lawrence Durrell, Title "The Curious History of Pope Joan", Place London, Publisher Derek Veschoyle, Date 1954.
It's all wrong.  Durrell is a sui generis translator and not the author. The title of the book published in 1954 by Derek Verschoyle was "Pope Joan, a Romantic Biography,  translated from the original Greek by Lawrence Durrell" .
The title "The Curious History of Pope Joan" belongs to the first version of Durrell's translation published in London in 1947 by RODNEY PHILLIPS & GREEN. This book quite different from the Verschoyle 1954 edition was never circulated due to the bankruptcy of the editors
Useless to say Durrell's mess  with Roidis book does not affect the Author of the Alexandrian Quartet but should help understanding his writings and his autodefinitio Supreme Trickster.
Thanks for the attention and Happy Easter for the Catholics
Panayotis Gerontopoulos