[ilds] Mr. Esposito

james Esposito giacomoesposito72 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 01:58:08 PDT 2016

By 'teaching their students how to enjoy texts' I meant that I see the
principal purpose of teaching as the widening of students' appreciation of
their chosen subject, be it literature, science or any other discipline.
Education surely exists to enlighten young minds (and older!) and to give
them a better understanding of themselves and the world. That may seem very
old-fashioned but I think such purposes are diminished by what Keats called
(paraphrase) unnecessary reaching out for reason - that is, the searching
for explanations of what, ultimately, cannot be explained - credo quia
absurdum. We owe it to ourselves and others (we, being teachers, writers
and readers) to focus primarily on what the texts say, not what they don't
say, or what a critic may think they say.
James Esposito