[ilds] 3 quick questions about Marine Venus

Kennedy Gammage gammage.kennedy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 12:39:30 PST 2016

Wow! Thanks James – that’s a great article by David Roessel in DL6.
Answered some of my questions and further whetted my appetite for the
original MV. Clearly Ridler was NOT right in making (most of) the cuts, and
Durrell was right to protest them. Some of the excised text showed-up in
The Greek Islands and, to Bruce’s point, some was shamelessly cribbed from
Torr. Ridler could have asked for a light edit, but instead she chose the
sword. Roessel’s last line is: “What was lost was a text that was more
interesting, more complicated, and more personal.” How sad – and
intriguing.

The big unanswered question is – why doesn’t Faber just issue an
unexpurgated version? Something truly new like that (which will at least
provoke a big article in the Guardian, and maybe the NY Review of Books as
well) could jump-start his entire catalog on both sides of the pond!

Just sayin’ - Ken