[ilds] Meaningful Arab Characters

Merrianne Timko timlot at comcast.net
Sat Feb 27 18:42:52 PST 2016

Bruce,

Some random thoughts …

640 is a debatable date. 641 is a more commonly accepted date, in view of the founding of Fustat in 641 and its significance for the Arab conquest of Egypt and 'Amr.

Fustat was an incredibly cosmopolitan city, the subject of a major exhibition in 2015 at the University of Chicago. https://oi.uchicago.edu/museum-exhibits/special-exhibits/cosmopolitan-city-old-cairo

As for information regarding “orientalism” on the list serv, I would like to see some interesting current thoughts on the subject.

As for the “lost” Egyptian language, when I see words like ebony and adobe, ancient Egyptian has morphed into our modern languages.

Also, when Durrell returned to Egypt in 1977, he would have seen Nubians, especially men, displaced by the construction of the Aswan Dam. Durrell would no doubt have encountered the Nubians working at the hotels. Richard Fernea of the University of Texas documented this vanishing culture, and Hamza el Din was the musician that captured the Nubian culture’s spirit.

I would be very cautious when analyzing Arab, Islamic, Coptic, etc. characters based on today’s perception of race and religion.

Merrianne Timko