[ilds] Nin & Heraldic

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 24 17:24:11 PST 2016

I see Durrell’s use of “Heraldic” as representing some extra dimension of reality, accessible through the imagination, intuition, or some kind of praxis:  “Transcending logic it [Heraldic] invades a realm where unreason reigns, and where the relations between ideas are sympathetic and mysterious—affective—rather than casual, objective, substitutional.”  This from “Ideas about Poems” in Personal Landscape:  An Anthology of Exile (London 1945).  See also Gifford’s edition of From the Elephant’s Back (2015).

Here I would bring in Hermann Broch’s idea of an “ultimate reality,” as expressed in The Death of Virgil (1945).  Perhaps only superficial, the similarities need to be fully explored.

Nevertheless, “the Heraldic Universe” is Durrell’s lifelong concern, where he has an inkling of a reality beyond reality, which is very Eastern.  Hence, he calls himself a Taoist in A Smile in the Mind’s Eye (1980).

Bruce