[ilds] Nin & Heraldic

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 15:38:10 PST 2016

Hi Ken,

On 2016-02-24 1:24 PM, Kennedy Gammage wrote:
> Interesting that she mentions the Heraldic Universe

I'm not sure of the date of the entry, but was it around August 1937?
Durrell was using the word to correspond with Miller in the Fall of
1936, undated in the letter (August per MacNiven but more likely
September or October based on the publication in September of the
materials in the Surrealist Bulletin by Herbert Read to which he was
responding).  He uses the term again in his 1938 essay on Miller's
/Hamlet/ letters in /Delta/, which would have been right around Nin's
comments (if I'm intuiting the date correctly).

> "It is not a moral repulsion," said Larry, "it is
> Heraldic." The love of the "heraldic" world in
> Larry excludes the other. Not in Henry.' Durrell
> must have talked about it a great deal. Was he
> seeing things? Living in his own private Idaho so
> to speak?

I think there are two ways of seeing the Heraldic.  In one it's an
interior world, or private Idaho, but in another it could have much to
do with the "intimate" you also quote from Nin.  That is, where does the
personal flourish free of external constraints, which isn't quite the
same thing as an interiority or imaginary world.

Of course, Nin would have her own way of understanding it as well, and
I'd assume she would grant greater emphasis to interiority.

All best,