[ilds] Nin and Durrell

Kennedy Gammage gammage.kennedy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 18:07:52 PST 2016

ILDS member Paul Herron’s Anaïs Nin Literary Journal A CAFÉ IN SPACE 13
arrived in today’s mail, and Lawrence Durrell is mentioned, though in
passing. For more color about Anaïs and Larry (she clearly found him a
whole lot more interesting than Nancy!) the Diary of Anaïs Nin Volume Two
1934-1939 is worth re-reading. She says:  “Under the golden tanned skin,
the blond hair, the sea-bottom eyes, behind the poetic gestures, mellow and
human, he has found a cataract of words, a universe of nuances, shadows,
quarter tones. Not by way of neurosis did he discover the imagination he
has. He is like a sailor, a mountaineer who has been visited by
revelations. There is a miracle about his creation. He is a bit amazed. He
walks the familiar streets with a vague uneasiness. The wine bottle has
become symbolical. This expresses all he is fighting against. He does not
want to lose the warmth, the flesh, the odor, the reality.”

I guess the main thing that jumped out from Café 13 was how vicious the New
York Times has been to Nin for 50 years. When you read it, it’s an
embarrassment. They owe her (and we her fans) a huge apology!

Best - Ken