[ilds] Beloved Vagabond

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 19 15:02:49 PST 2016

Richard,

No, I don’t know if Durrell read Locke’s Beloved Vagabond.

I have a related question.  Does anyone know if Durrell read or was familiar with the work of the German writer Hermann Broch (1886-1951), especially with his most famous novel, The Death of Virgil (1945).  Chamberlin does not mentioned the novel in his Chronology, and Broch does not appear in the usual sources.  I asked because I find many similarities between Broch and Durrell, specifically in reference to their treatment of death and the search for a “higher reality” beyond the material world.  LD seems to have a fondness for German writers, Kleist and Rilke in particular.  The Germans also seem to have been fond of Durrell.  They performed at least one of his plays, Sappho.  On the whole, die Deutsche seem to come off fairly well in Durrell’s oeuvre.

Bruce