[ilds] In Paddy's Footsteps: A Private Tour of Patrick Leigh Fermor’s Greece & Crete

Charles Sligh cls9k at virginia.edu
Sun Jan 24 06:22:47 PST 2016

*In Paddy's Footsteps:*
*A Private Tour of Patrick Leigh Fermor’s Greece and Crete*
*17th-30th June 2016*

In Paddy’s Footsteps is a unique journey into Patrick Leigh Fermor’s Greece
and Crete.

Between 17th and 30th June 2016, a group of no more than twenty travellers
will visit major sites in PLF’s life: from his favourite restaurants and
hotels, to the homes where he lived and wrote; from Classical monuments to
the caves in which the Kreipe kidnappers hid. Our guides will include
several Leigh Fermor experts.

The tour begins in Athens, where we will eat at Tou Psara, where Leigh
Fermor and George Katsimbalis often ate. We then travel through Mycenae and
Epidavros to Leigh Fermor’s preferred hotel in Nafplion. From there, we
visit Hydra, where much of Mani was written, and the mill at Lemonodassos
where Leigh Fermor lived in 1935-36. Then, after stopping at Mystras, we
will visit Leigh Fermor’s house at Kardamyli and explore the Mani. Next, we
travel to Crete where, after visiting Knossos and the Kreipe kidnap site,
we will trace the kidnappers’ journey into the White Mountains, and tour
the Resistance sites of the Amari Valley. Our journey ends at Rethymnon,
where we will link up with the International Lawrence Durrell Society’s
conference.

* Four-star hotels, air-conditioned private transportation.

* Expert speakers and guides, including Chris White (contributing author of
‘Abducting a General’), Costas Malamakis (former curator, Historical Museum
of Crete), and Simon Fenwick (archivist who has been researching the Leigh
Fermor and Xan Fielding archives).

* Private visit to Leigh Fermor’s Mani home, guided by his housekeeper
Elpida Beloyanni.

* Guided tours of the Kreipe abduction site and escape route, and the
Resistance sites of the Amari Valley.

* Entry to the International Lawrence Durrell Society’s conference, On
Miracle Ground, whose theme is ‘British Writers in World War II Crete’.

* Optional tours of the Benaki Museum, the Hadjikyriakos-Ghika House, the
town of Chania, and the Samaria Gorge.

* The tour is strictly limited to no more than twenty travellers.

* Cost: 2965 Euros per head, including Athens-Heraklion flights, all
private ground transportation, hotels, breakfasts, 16 lunches or dinners,
conference fees, and guide fees.

** To register or request further details, please email
info at patrickleighfermorsociety.org <info at patrickleighfermorsociety.org>*

**  PLEASE SEE ATTACHED PDF*

charles.sligh at virginia.edu
Department of English