[ilds] Lawrence Durrell, collected poems, 1931 - 1974

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jan 8 01:12:24 PST 2016

Dusted this volume off tonight, said to myself, take a glass of Richmond grove Chardonnay and start from the start. Hemingway talked about the true line, those lines that really say it, lay it down well.

>From The Gift

The crumbled dust of ancient adorations, murmurings, and the dull story of some faded lust, will you remember it and mother-wise thank me in these chill after-days,
When I am empty handed...with your eyes?

I especially like 'and the dull story of some faded lust' - just nails it. Bam, bam, bam!

Sometimes Lazza tries to hard, gets too full of classical allusion, but little gems shine like sharp cut diamonds.

David

Sent from my iPad